Finding the right church for you should be a well thought out process that involves a lot of different facets for consideration. Picking out the church you want to be a part of is a highly personal process, but there are a few guidelines that can be used to help sort through which things might be important to you or which are things you are not as concerned about finding in a church.
1. Size: Many people are particular about belonging to a church that is too big, especially Christian churches. Some of the mega churches have gotten a bad rap for lacking in personalized spirituality and being more focused on gaining national traction when a local angle is preferred by many in Santa Monica churches.
2. Religious sect: If the particular type of Christianity matters a great deal to you, then you will need to seek out specific churches that practice in a way that suits your needs. A generic catch all that works for many may or may not be the right thing for you, and sorting that out ahead of time can save you a lot of time and hassle down the road.
3. Location: Simply put, it might matter how close your Santa Monica church is to you. If you do not have access to a car or rely solely on public transportation, then you need a location that is close enough to walk or off of the bus line. This might limit your options significantly, so be sure to do a thorough search of Christian churches by geography and ask around to people in your area and see where they might go.
4. Time: If you are not a frequent or every week church goer, it might not matter terribly where it is located or how big it is. The church you choose might depend entirely on how much time you have to devote to it and that is something that only you can decide.
5. Sunday School: If you have kids, it likely matters to you whether they have a Sunday School for your little ones or not. When they get older they can join you for the main service, but church can be difficult for small children to sit through, and they are typically better off served through Sunday school programs.
At the end of the day, choosing the right church for you is a highly personal decision and one that you must make based on a variety of conditions that may or may not include the above items. Feeling connected to fellow church goers or knowing other people who go to the same Christian Church as you might ultimately matter more than whether or not it is the closest option. Only you can tell which one is right for you, and that choice is one of the greatest freedoms provided to American citizens in this country today. Even if you only want to go to church occasionally or have no interest in going at all, the option is always available to you no matter where you live.
Calvalry Church of Pacific Palisades
701 Palisades Drive,
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272